Most Refreshing Cooler for Summer !!
Shikanji or Shikanjvi !!
Shikanji or Shikanjvi as we call it is a well-known & traditional lemonade of North India and Pakistan especially prevalent in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Haryana, Western Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Rajasthan, and Sindh. Alternative names include Shikanji, Shikanjbeen & Shikanjbi. It is undoubtedly the most refreshing cooler for summer.
While the base ingredients include lemon or lime-juice, ginger juice, ice & water, Shikanjvi often contains other ingredients such as salt (Black), saffron and cumin. It is a special summer cooler. You can make the Nimboo Shikanji in bulk & just store it in your refrigerator & consume whenever you want but I prefer having it fresh made when required. 😉
It’s such a refreshing summer sipper & also helps you get loads of vitamin – C in one single drink. Looking at the temperature right now in April i feel so hot i wonder what will happen in the month of May? (We will have to lock ourselves at home) 😛
I am sure, many of us would be planning to stock our refrigerator with Shikanji. But do you know how to make this recipe at home??
Nimboo Shikanji is made with fresh lemon-juice and is spiced with some black salt, some roasted cumin powder & sugar. This gives you a sweet & salty lemony drink with hints of cumin. (Mouthwatering already? ;))
Preparation Time: 5 – 10 min Recipe Type: Beverages (Summer Coolers)
Serves: 2 full glasses (All for myself :P)
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 medium sized lemon
- 2 glasses of water (cold water in case you don’t want to put ice)
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- rock salt or black salt as required
- sugar as required
- 4 – 5 mint leaves for garnishing (optional)
- A few ice cubes (optional) (If you want it super cool)
- Take a medium sized lemon & cut it into two.
- Take 2 glasses of a water in a bowl / open-Jar
- Gently squeeze the lemon juice directly into the water using a lemon juice squeezer
- Add a tinge of black salt (pinchful), sugar (as required) , Jeera powder.
- Stir the juice till the sugar gets completely dissolved.
- Now pour the Shikanji in glasses, you can add ice cubes to make it ice-chilled & finally garnish it with mint leaves & serve Shikanji immediately.
NOTE: If you are making Shikanji for fasting purpose, then add rock salt (Sendha Namak in Hindi). This recipe is for only two serves in case you want more quantity, you can just increase all the ingredients.
I hope you are going to try this super cool summer cooler & let me know how it was drinking it!! 😉